Due to heavy crowds in London, the UK government said access to the queue to view Elizabeth II’s coffin was suspended on Friday. “The slots for the afternoon have been filled. Do not try to join the queue before it reopens,” he said, estimating the suspension at “at least six hours”.
Access to the queue to view the coffin of Elizabeth II was suspended in London on Friday due to high attendance, the government said. Initially, he announced that this suspension should last “at least six hours”. “The slots for the afternoon have been filled,” he then clarified. “Do not try to join the queue before it reopens”.
A waiting time increased to 2 p.m.
Before this announcement, the waiting time had risen to 2 p.m., people waiting night and day for miles to be able to gather briefly in front of the sovereign’s coffin on display in Westminster Hall. Midday Friday, a sign posted where people enter the queue read: “Entry to the queue to view Her Majesty’s coffin is temporarily suspended. Waiting time at leaving here is at least 14 hours”.
Thousands of people, some from very far away, had joined the queue again in the morning. The 24-hour coffin display is scheduled until 6:30 a.m. Monday, before the funeral at Westminster Abbey at 11 a.m. (10 a.m. GMT).
Earlier in the morning, two police officers were stabbed in central London and taken to hospital, London police said, adding that a man “with a knife” had been arrested.