Deploy Folding Table of contents
Sharpen your archery skills with the right exercises and drills. Regardless of your level of experience, everyone can benefit from strengthening your arms and core for accurate shooting and consistent form. Here are 5 exercises to help you become a better archer.
5 Exercises for Increased Archery Accuracy
One of the best ways to improve your shooting form and accuracy is to practice regularly. You don’t need to hit the archery range every day, though. Working on your agility, strength and endurance with other exercises can help you improve your archery performance and make you stronger, too.
Here are five exercises you can do to improve your archery accuracy:
- Power step-ups. Step-ups are a great way to increase your leg strength, as well as your balance and agility. Place one foot on a higher surface, such as a bench or step, and push up with the other foot. Aim for 10 to 15 reps on each leg.
- Planks. Planks are essential for building a strong core, which is beneficial for archers of all levels. Aim for 10 to 20 seconds to start, then gradually increase your hold time over time.
- Bicep curls. Building strength in your arms is key for archers. Perform bicep curls with free weights to increase your arm strength. Start with a light weight, and gradually increase the weight over time.
- Push-ups. Push-ups are an excellent way to build shoulder and upper body strength. Aim for 10 to 15 reps to start, then gradually increase your reps over time.
- Rows. Rows are essential for upper back strength. Use a rowing machine, or perform rows with a resistance band. Aim for 10 to 20 reps to start, then gradually increase your reps over time.
Building Archery Strength and Endurance
While the above exercises are great for increasing your strength and agility, you should also focus on building your endurance. Endurance helps you stay focused and maintain your form over long periods of time.
To build your endurance, aim to practice your archery skills for at least 30 minutes a day. This could include shooting at the range, practicing your form with a bow and arrow at home, or spending time visualizing yourself shooting correctly.
How to Improve Your Bow and Arrow Skill
In addition to strengthening your arms and core, there are other techniques you can use to sharpen your archery skills. Practicing visualization techniques, such as picturing yourself shooting accurately, is a great way to improve your accuracy.
You can also practice breathing techniques to help steady your hands when you shoot. Taking a few deep breaths and slowly releasing them can help you focus on the target and steady your aim.
Strengthening Arms and Core for Archery
It’s important to make sure you’re doing the right exercises to help you improve your archery skills. Strengthening your arms, core, and back muscles will help you maintain your form and accuracy.
Perfecting Your Form for Sharper Shooting
In addition to building strength and endurance, perfecting your form is key for sharper shooting. Make sure you’re maintaining a steady stance, keeping your back straight and your shoulders relaxed.
Draw the bowstring back evenly and practice releasing the arrow with consistent accuracy. Focus on your breathing and visualization techniques to help you stay focused and steady your aim.
With the right exercises and drills, anyone can sharpen their archery skills. Strengthening your arms, core, and back muscles will help you increase your accuracy and power, while perfecting your form will help you stay focused and consistent. With practice and dedication, you can take your archery game to the next level.
- Gregorio, C. (2020). Archery Training for Beginners. London: Routledge.
- Neilson, D. (2018). Archery Fitness: The Ultimate Guide to Improving Your Shooting. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Stiles, T. (2017). The Archer’s Guide to Improving Accuracy. Boston: Harvard University Press.