Home International The Russians have begun to withdraw from the Chernobyl site

The Russians have begun to withdraw from the Chernobyl site

46
0

Russian forces have begun to withdraw from the Chernobyl nuclear site, which they had taken control of on the first day of the invasion of Ukraine on February 24, the Ukrainian nuclear agency announced on Thursday.

Russian forces have begun to withdraw from the Chernobyl nuclear site, which they had taken control of on the first day of the invasion of Ukraine on February 24, the Ukrainian nuclear agency announced on Thursday. The troops occupying the site left “in two columns towards the border” between Ukraine and Belarus, Energoatom said on Telegram, adding that there are only a “small number” of Russian soldiers left on the spot.

A column of Russian soldiers besiege Slavoutitch

The troops occupying the site left “in two columns towards the border” between Ukraine and Belarus, Energoatom said on Telegram, adding that there are only a “small number” of Russian soldiers left on the spot. “There is also evidence that a column of Russian soldiers who are besieging the city of Slavoutitch (where the staff of the plant, editor’s note) is currently forming to move towards Belarus”, adds the press release from the Ukrainian nuclear agency. .

In another message on Telegram, Energoatom published a photo of a document entitled “Act of transfer of the protection of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant”, signed on March 31 by a Russian general, presented as the formalization of the departure of the troops Russians. A senior US official from the Pentagon, on condition of anonymity, had already indicated on Wednesday evening that the Russian army had begun to withdraw from Gostomel airport, northwest of kyiv, and from Chernobyl to Belarus.

Lack of rotation of plant staff

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has ceased, since March 9, to receive live data from Chernobyl. She worried Sunday about the lack of staff turnover at the plant since March 20. The plant’s number 4 reactor exploded in 1986, causing the worst civilian nuclear disaster in history. It is covered with a double sarcophagus, one built by the Soviets and now damaged, the other, more modern, inaugurated in 2019.

Read:  Ukraine: Macron exchanges with Johnson and Stoltenberg before Moscow and Kiev

The plant’s other three reactors were gradually shut down after the disaster, the last in 2000.

Previous articleRefurb: the MacBook Pro 14″ M1 Pro is sold in Switzerland and Belgium
Next articleParis Marathon: these runners ready to face winter conditions